The boxing bout between Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr scheduled to take place on September 12 has been postponed.
The two boxing legends were poised to meet inside the squared circle in a special eight-round exhibition fight next month but the California-based pay-per-view event, billed as ‘Frontline Battle’ and slated to be streamed on Triller, has now been cancelled.
According to The Ring, the bout will instead take place at the same location at Dignity Health Park, Carson, but two months later on November 28.
It’s said the main reason for the postponement is because Tyson’s representatives feel a rescheduling could bring extra revenue – a sentiment Jones and his team concurred with.
Jones was then confirmed as his first opponent last month in what promises to be an interesting spectacle to say the least.
It’s been reported that a boxer vs MMA fighter is to be on the undercard, and there will be “iconic musical performances” in the three-hour programme – with rap icons Eminem and Lil Wayne two of the names mentioned.
Speaking last month, California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Forster stated: “This isn’t a situation where they’re going out there to try to take each other’s heads off.
“They’re just going to be in there moving around the ring and letting fans see these legends.”
“This is search and destroy and I’m looking forward to recapturing my glory,” Tyson told TMZ Sports.
When asked about a knockout, he replied: “If the opportunity comes, I’m always looking for it [the knockout].”
Before he and Jones lock horns for the first time ever, Tyson takes on a great shark as part of a TV challenge for ‘Shark Week’ on Sunday evening. Here’s hoping there’s no biting from either of them.